Some things I learned from that Mardi Gras trip:
- Prior to my trip, I had only heard of the raucous, depraved side of Mardi Gras. I found the celebration to be much more family friendly than I expected;
- In my 20s-something mind, I thought the parades would be boring. Little did I know, they were so much I wanted to experience them all to the end;
- When you put 100s of mardi gras beads around your neck, they are really hard to detangle and remove at 3 a.m the next morning;
- You don't have to do any thing risque to get those beads;
- Some floats are more likely to give you beads than others. You can yell at some floats all you want, and you still won't get them;
- Pralines still are wonderful;
- It really would be a good idea to get a hotel room in or near the Quarter, as you don't want to spend all of your time fighting the crowds to go 25 minutes away.